Why you should read this offer:
- ? A perfect-timing product validated by tens of companies of all sizes, Visa and Mastercard teams in Spain, investors, directors of Techstars programs, etc.
- ?? Founded by Eduardo Ortiz de Lanzagorta (Civeta, Cogress Spain…) and Daniel Seijo (Menéame, Diariomotor…) with advisors like Jose Iglesias (Director Techstars EMEA) and Javi Santana (former Carto CTO)
- ? Opportunity to build your dream-team of engineers and choose technology stack
- ? Salary starting at 60.000€ (depending on experience and skills) + bonuses + possibility of equity
- ?Transparent feedback during the whole hiring process, as part of our strong culture inspired by Ray Dalio, Jeff Bezos and others.
- ☕ Office in Malasaña with many perks (i.e. free healthy breakfast and lunch, paid kindergarten, paid transportation to the office, free snacks, the best coffee in town, free gym, mindfulness, etc.).
We are looking for a highly skilled CTO with a storied history in the technological sector. Together with Eduardo and Daniel, the CTO will be one of three key profiles of the management team. Fuell’s CTO is tasked with making executive technology decisions on behalf of the company, including hiring, training, leading and developing our cross-departmental tech teams, managing a technology budget and making investments to align the company with their vision for its technological needs.
We aren’t just looking for a Chief Technology Officer who can do his job great and help us shoot for the moon. We are looking for a person we want to share our lives with ❤️. We think you’ll click with us if you:
- You thrive in demanding, fast-paced environments that require you to think strategically as well as join your team in the trenches to solve problems.
- You value truth, you are open-minded and appreciate direct feedback.
- You revel in intellectually rigorous and principled environments.
- You have a pragmatic and practical approach and feel passionately about operational excellence of impactful technologies.
- You enjoy working in a non-hierarchical manner, leading by strong logic and creating a compelling vision.
- You have a high bar for excellence, never being satisfied that anything is good enough.
About Fuell and the team
Fuell is building the new global standard for financial services, starting with corporate cards ?. Fuell Corporate Card, our first product, is an unprecedented credit card solution for businesses of all sizes. It’s like nothing anybody has seen before. Period. With Fuell Corporate Cards you can eliminate the need for expense reports, manage your company’s spending (employees and providers) in real-time, set and control budgets, get credit increases as your business grows, rewards your business with cash backs, and much more. It’s the corporate card we wanted for ourselves.
Fuell Corporate Card as a product has been validated by tens of businesses (from startups to big corporations) and by well-known experts in the tech and financial industry. Our vision is to become one of the fastest-growing startups to date in Europe while we create and exceptional corporate culture. But as we are told, and we know, we are missing a technical cofounder.
Who you will work with:
- Daniel Seijo has more than 15 years of experience as an entrepreneur. He is the founder of successful businesses such as Diariomotor.com (the most visited cars website in Spain), Civeta.es and quecochemecompro.com. In 2016, he bought Meneame.net ? portal, a company he has been managing since (+230 k daily unique users).
- Eduardo Ortiz de Lanzagorta has experience in the VC space, as board member of Civeta.es, and tech space as the co-founder and COO of Cogress Iberia (a Real Estate FinTech platform that has invested in projects with a GDV in excess of $1Bn) and the Head of BD of Owl-Systems, which he gained at Rocketspace in SFO – where Uber, Leap, etc. were accelerated.
- Carlos Prieto has more than 23 years of experience in web design, creative direction and internet strategy. He was the first member of the Internet Department in Inditex, where he was the designer of the first websites and Managing Director of its first e-commerce. He was also behind some of the most famous TV shows intros in Spain like El Hormiguero ? or La hora de José Mota.
- Javier Santana is the former CTO of Carto and currently the founder of Tinybird.co. Among many other positions he was the Data Services Lead of BBVA until 2019.
- Jose Iglesias is the current CEO (EMEA) of TechStars. He will be helping us with his extensive knowledge and network of the tech industry. Techstars is a Worldwide Network that helps entrepreneurs succeed. With a portfolio of over 1,100 companies with a total market cap of $65B, Techstars operates in 150 countries with a massive network of mentors, investors, founders and Community Leaders.
For this position, you should be a strategic thinker, an effective communicator and an expert in technological development. You must have the full overview of the latest methodologies and innovations, and can choose the best to implement. But the most important thing is that you come with a hunger to learn, to improve and to grow within the project.
- You have already built up a well-known brand from a tech perspective. Previous experience within the FinTech industry ? is not essential but of course highly welcome.
- You are a people leader, have experience in growing and leading teams of senior engineers and enjoy attracting and hiring top talent to continue to raise the bar of the team.
- You are working with a lot of different stakeholders including investors ??. Therefore, you also have a sense for breaking down complexity and keeping an eye on monetization.
- You are active member of the tech community of Madrid ?
What you will do
The first month…
First thing we will do is share and revise with you the company OKRs, and you will define yours as the rest of the team already has. You will be focused in launching a first MVP of our product. We’re focused on getting feedback from real clients, so you’ll be responsible to choose a technology stack that fits Fuell needs and put it into production. We will issue physical and virtual cards for our customers through an API such as Stripe Issuing, collect receipts and invoices associated with transactions, manage credit logic and budgets. We will present all information in real time through a web and an application. We will also connect to our client’s bank to analyze data through open banking APIs.
In this phase you will have to decide between expanding our team or seeking help from freelancers and external companies to create and maintain the non-core developments (i.e. Frontend, mobile app, integrations with third parties, etc.)
You’ll be located in an office inside La Industrial Coworking, near Plaza del dos de Mayo in Malasaña, with awesome vibes and surrounded by cool cafes and healthy restaurants ?.
In three months…
We should have launched a beta version and we should start gaining traction. In this phase we will start the recruiting process for senior and junior IT engineers, you will be a key person in the selection of the team.
As we grow we will probably need to move into a bigger office, but we’re in love with Malasaña and Chueca, so we will make sure it won’t be outside this area of Madrid.
We also have chances of being selected to Techstars London program, so it’s possible we have to move temporarily for three months to London and you’re invited to come with us if you want (in this case we’ll have an extra budget for expenses).
In one year…
You will be working in an awesome company with a strong technical and corporate culture, in one of the fasting growing startups of Spain. Our success will still depend on you strongly because you will be in charge of:
- Enhance our tech-focused culture.
- Set up the tech future of the company.
- Hire, train, lead and develop our cross-departmental tech teams.
- Build the tech vision of a future unicorn using your tech and business skills.
- Lead the technical vision and strategy for the Fuell brand: launch features, develop new products and improve stability of our platforms, define the current and future architecture, and revolutionize the financial sector from a tech perspective.
- Optimize methodologies and work streams of the tech teams to drive efficient development across all levels, features and products.
- Manage multiple tech-teams covering the full B2B-product range.
- Ensure world-class reliability for our systems including during surge demand scenarios.
- Share the Fuell tech success and represent Fuell at conferences.
- Establish and manage the tech budget.
- Play a key part in the overall strategy of the company: you are significantly responsible for our overall success.
What we offer
If you like challenges, this is your project. What do we offer? Easy. Cool atmosphere in cool offices in Malasaña and where there will be no room for boredom. We offer indefinite fixed contract. The remuneration will be higher than 60.000€ gross per year (depending on experience, we pay the person not the role) and there is the possibility of equity compensation and variable remuneration.
We want our team to be happy and healthy both inside and outside of work. Our benefits and perks may change, but they’re all based on the philosophy that taking care of our people is good for all of us. We know that everyone is different, so what we offer will be constantly evolving based on employee needs and feedback. This is the perks we are offering at the beginning:
- Phantom shares and/or equity
- Performance bonuses
- Free healthy breakfast and lunch
- Paid kindergarten
- Paid transportation to the office
- Flexible Schedule (i.e work from home once a week)
- Food as a Service (i.e. free snacks & best coffee in Malasaña (real milk from a small known Farm)
- Health as a Service (Gym Membership or Wellness Program)
- Choose your preferred hardware
- Employee Development Programs (i.e. personal and professional coaching, on-the-job training, partial tuition reimbursement, discounts for events (national and international) & books)
- Clothing as a service: Minimalism brand agreement for employees welcome package of branded clothes
- Meetups at the office and outside of it
More options to come: choice of dedicating some hours to volunteer every year, offsites, monthly team lunch, morning meditation, free entrance to Ocho y Medio once a month, etc.
We maintain all team candidates well informed during the whole process which consists of the next steps:
- Phone/Hangout interview.
- In-person interview.
- Get to know our business team, what it means to be an idea-meritocracy and how are we different.
We want to meet you ?
Do you want to learn more about us before you apply? Come visit us at our office in Madrid or write to firstname.lastname@example.org. Tell us what you like best and send us your github if you want. We look forward to meeting you!